Austin Serious Injury Lawyer
Suffering a serious injury can be a life-changing event for everyone involved. It’s especially disheartening when the accident was caused by the negligence of another party. A serious injury is one of the most traumatic experiences you can endure. In a single second, you could find yourself facing a lifetime of physical and emotional pain, permanent disability, or even death.
Whether you have been injured in a car or boat accident, harmed by a defective product, or injured at work, the support of an Austin serious injury lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP is crucial to filing and winning a personal injury claim against the responsible party.
What Is a Serious Injury in the Eyes of the Law?
While many people who suffer catastrophic injuries from accidents may recover to a certain degree, they most often require extensive physical and occupational therapy and continued medical attention for the rest of their lives.
A serious injury is a long-term or permanent injury that significantly alters your way of life. Your Austin serious injury lawyer will work with your doctor to evaluate your injury and how it will impact you. Common serious injuries include all of the following:
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries are most commonly a result of motor vehicle accidents, sports trauma, and slip-and-falls. After a sudden, traumatic blow to the spine, the nerves may be damaged as a result. Spine injuries can completely change your life and may be temporary, long-term, or even permanent.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – Sudden trauma to the head caused by blunt force can cause a traumatic brain injury. Millions of people suffer brain injuries every year, and over half are caused by motor vehicle accidents. The mildest form of TBI is a concussion with symptoms ranging from headaches, nausea, neck pain, and ringing of the ears. Severe TBI may lead to permanent brain damage or death.
- Amputation – Severe injury from an accident may result in amputation of a leg or arm. The removal of the limb could be a traumatic amputation caused in an accident or the result of surgery.
- Burns – Occurring when the body is in direct contact with heat or chemicals, severe burns may cause permanent damage to the skin and require extensive medical treatment such as skin grafting.
Compensation in a Serious Injury Case
The need to establish cause and determine fault is paramount to your claim. This, combined with the complex details surrounding a personal injury claim, can make the legal process both intimidating and overwhelming. Having an Austin serious injury lawyer with the right investigative team execute the litigation can make all the difference to the outcome of your case.
From lost income to mounting medical expenses, the financial impact you face because of your injury could be devastating. Negotiating settlements with insurance companies is crucial when seeking compensation for your damages. In Texas, economic and noneconomic damages should both be included in your financial settlement.
Economic damages have a monetary value based on documentation and receipts:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of past earning capacity
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Loss of household services
- Caretaker expenses
- Home and vehicle modifications made necessary by your injury
- Cost of therapy, whether physical or emotional
Noneconomic damages cannot be valued based on documentation:
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Past and present mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of consortium
Valuing Your Claim
Every Austin serious injury case is different, and the details involved vary from case to case. It’s important to note that not all of these categories of damages apply to every personal injury claim.
Knowing what to include and being certain nothing is overlooked are vital to making certain you receive all the compensation you are owed. A knowledgeable and experienced Austin serious injury lawyer from our office can evaluate your case and determine the type of damages that you could receive.
An Austin Serious Injury Lawyer Will Fight for Your Rights
If you or a loved one has been severely injured in an accident, an Austin serious injury lawyer from Colley & Colley, LLP will aggressively fight for your right to recover the maximum compensation possible for your injuries. With our decades of experience, we have successfully represented victims of serious injuries in Austin time and time again.
We understand that suffering a serious injury can be emotionally and financially devastating for victims and their families. Contact an Austin serious injury lawyer at Colley & Colley, LLP today at 512-477-2001 or by completing the form below for a free consultation. We are here to help you get the compensation you deserve.