Common Auto Insurance Issues After a Car Accident
PIP Claims · Property Damage · Uninsured and Underinsured Drivers · Bad Faith
If you are injured in a car accident through the negligence of another driver, your compensation comes in part from that driver's auto insurance and in part from your own coverage. But you cannot count on the insurance companies — yours or theirs — to treat you fairly and fully cover your losses.
You may ultimately need an attorney to fight for your entitled compensation. The best course of action is to contact an attorney before you file a claim and before you talk to the insurance adjusters.
At Colley Firm P.C., you are represented by experienced personal injury attorneys who are knowledgeable about all the nuances of auto insurance. You are represented by proven trial lawyers who have a lengthy record of verdicts and settlements, including numerous six- and seven-figure recoveries. With offices in Austin and Tyler, we take cases in East Texas and statewide.
East Texas Injury Lawyers Who Protect Your Rights in Insurance Claims and Insurance Litigation
The goal of insurers is to settle your claim for as little as possible. Some will try to get away with denying your claim altogether. Our attorneys are wise to all the insurance industry tactics and every facet of the claims process:
- PIP claims — Texas drivers have a form of no-fault insurance called personal injury protection, or PIP. This covers initial medical bills and part of your lost wages, up to a maximum. While you are automatically covered by PIP regardless of who caused the accident, insurers sometimes deny claims, delay payment or refuse to pay certain parts of the claim.
- Liability insurance — If the negligence of another motorist caused your crash, a claim is brought against that driver's bodily injury liability policy. This would also cover wrongful death claims for a fatal accident. We conduct a sophisticated investigation when fault is disputed, and we are prepared to go all the way to a jury to fight for full coverage of your injuries.
- Uninsured motorist — Texas law requires every driver to carry minimum levels of liability insurance for injuries to others. In reality, as many as 20 percent of all motorists are driving without any coverage. Under your policy, you are covered for damages from uninsured motorists (UM). This also covers you in a hit-and-run if the driver is not identified. Insurers regularly contest UM claims.
- Underinsured motorist — Many drivers carry only the mandated minimum liability coverage of $20,000 per person and $40,000 total per accident. If you or your loved one suffered serious injuries, the hospital bills, ongoing care and lost earnings can far exceed these paltry limits. Under your policy, you are covered for underinsured motorists (UIM). Your insurer is supposed to make up the difference so that your total losses are covered, but UIM claims are one of the greatest areas of insurance litigation.
- Property damage — It doesn't take much damage to put your car out of commission, creating significant hardship if you do not have alternative transportation. We assist our injury clients with the separate property damage insurance claims, at no additional cost, to get their wrecked vehicles repaired or replaced as quickly as possible.
- Stacking — Texas law allows you to apply coverage from other vehicles you own to double or triple the available insurance coverage for a major injury. Insurance companies will usually fight this, and stacking may be specifically prohibited under your policy.
Board-Certified Legal Advocacy for Auto Accident Insurance Claims
Paul Colley Jr. has been board-certified in personal injury law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1989. He and his sister, trial lawyer Paul Colley, Jr., have more than 55 years of combined legal experience. They have handled thousands of auto accident, truck accident and motorcycle accident cases, and they are familiar with the unique insurance challenges in each of these categories.
Your recovery of damages, through an insurance settlement or a jury award, depends in large part on the skill and determination of your legal counsel. Don't take any chances with your health and your family's finances at stake. Reach our East Texas personal injury lawyers today by calling 844.325.9290, or contact us by e-mail to arrange a free case evaluation.